Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Japanese Language Class

I see many friends taking up a 3rd, 4th or 5th language.  From French to Spanish to Japanese to Chinese and more. Are you 1 of them?  As I recall, the only time I was motivated to take up a 3rd language is during events when I meet up with Japanese members and both parties meet much difficulties understanding and communicating with each other. Then for 1-2 weeks thereafter, I will feel extremely motivated to pick up Japanese.  However, as I get back to the norms of life, I too get extremely comfortable conversing in English and Mandarin.  I get by very well with these 2 languages in Singapore.  There is really no strong motivation to pick up Japanese.  The thought of picking up Japanese remains a thought lingering at the back of my mind. 

I finally start taking Japanese lessons some 5months back when I made a decision to put my thoughts into action.  I am proud to say that currently I am already into my 2nd term!  Japanese is definitely not an easy language to master.  Verbs and nouns are always placed in the wrong place (at least according to me!) eg : I go to school (In English), In Japanese, it is "My School I go to".  I eat eggs and toast.  In Japanese it is "Eggs and Toast I eat".  Many times, I felt that I am actually talking to these nouns! "Eggs and Toast, I eat you!" :)  Than I need to remember which conjunctions to use after the group of words. Should it be 'de' or 'e' or 'o' or 'do'?  Its funny to wire the mind this way and at times I do fear that my English will deteriorate as my Japanese improves.  Now I can fully understand why Ricco sometimes says "I am angry OF you".

Its even worse when it comes to written Japanese.  Just as I thought I can decipher Hiragana, the sensei says now now, you gotta learn katakana.  I am thankful that part of katakana is actually kanji! thats chinese!  At least I can read and write chinese! so many a times, I was able to guess-ti-mate the meaning of some katakanas :)

I am glad I took up Japanese.  Not only for personal development but also for friendship and social networking.  I get to know some very kind, some very sleepy, some very hardworking and 1 very tobacco (yes! someone in my class says he have tobacco instead of tomago for breakfast!) souls.  Of cos, I get a chance to promote my son Ricco too! My classmates all know him! I have a wonderful sensei whom in turn we teach her stuff like "Teh See Siew Dai"; wedding ang baos = 1 table costs divide by 10 for each person; And the best thing I learnt from her : Homework not done? - Dai Jo Vu, Dai Jo Vu; Room too cold? - Dai Jo Vu, Dai Jo Vu.  Nihon-go too difficult? - Dai Jo Vu. Dai Jo Vu... Fees not paid? - Dai Jo Vu, Dai Jo vu? I wish....

So you see, school is not always all study/work and no fun!  It can be fun, enriching and very interesting. 


Look at that! Can you decipher Japanese merely by reading these pictures?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, learning at JCS ? Or NUS extension ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am taking this at Ikoma Language School smack right at Shaw in Orchard. The school is professional and the sensei I met thus far are well qualified. Of cos, I think my class's sensei is THE BEST :) Usually, the BEST attracts the BEST

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important in helping me understand your thoughts and perspective. I will be taking your comments to help improve my blog and my life. Thank You!