Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kids below 6 are banned from some restaurants

We never had this in Singapore and in my memory, this Japanese restaurant situated in Great World City is the 1st to put forth a rule whereby kids below 6 are not allowed to dine.  When this was first announced, there were much uproar about this especially from community with young kids.  I love the comments that since the government is encouraging and taking measures to increase childbirth and improve family bonding, this ruling certainly doesn't help!  Of cos, I too hear the other side of the argument whereby kids will scream and shout, disturbing other diners who wanted to have a quiet meal.  Both makes sense to me...Thus, really I am sitting on the fence and going with the flow...However, I am keen and curious to try one of these restaurants..

I made a reservations for Kuriya at Great World, to experience what it will be like to dine in a place without kids below 6.  In my imgination, it should at least not be noisy (well, they say kids disturb other diners!) and for the price that they are charging, I would expect decent food.  From the outlook of the restaurant (from the outside), I thought it looks decent and is all ready for a good meal.

When I finally did have my meal there, I was really not too impressed.  Many diners there spoke much louder that my son! Somehow, the place sounds like a food court without the kids! The interior decoration was not too impressive too.  Really, I do not see why any kid should not be allowed into this restaurant!

I must say, the food is decent and taste OK.  Its really not fantastic but do-able.  There were supposed to be renowned for their sashimis.  I was not too impressed.  Its Alright.

I came to the conclusion that reastaurants who wanna ban kids below 6 years of age should really do so with a good reason.  If your restaurant setting is supposed to be fine dinning with quiet corners, I totally support your rules.  However, if somehow your restaurant is not anything near fine dining, where you know your cohurt of diners are loud and big, than banning kids below 6 REALLY DOESN'T make any sense!

Sharing my picutures of the meal :



Sashimi and sushis - nothing too different from other Jap restaurants

Seafood Chawanmushi - just like seafood soup with toufu...haha!
Salmon Cheek - this is really good.  Cook to the right degree, soft and sweet

2 comments:

  1. Yo Ms Lim..
    Totally agree with you... there must be good reasons to support why restaurant has to ban kids.. Not all kids will scream and shut.. just as not all adults will refrain from talking loudly :p
    if it is some sort of top notch fine dinning setting where the aim is to allow couples to have a sense of romantic and indulgence feel or high flyers engaging in business talks (am assuming these diners are well-trained in their etiquette) :)... it may make some sense to ban children of a certain age.. as these diners are paying a premium price for food plus the condusive environment.. :)
    If it is not of that sort of standard.. then i would think that restaurants which imposed age limit for children may just lose some of family crowds. :)
    cheers
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona - I agree with you. Restauranters needs to be educated. So please do not head this restaurant if you are thinking of a fine nice quiet place for dinner with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are important in helping me understand your thoughts and perspective. I will be taking your comments to help improve my blog and my life. Thank You!